跳至主要内容

The Three Faces Of Steve Jobs, Brent Schlender, 1998 Fortune

(FORTUNE Magazine) – Well into the conversation with FORTUNE that you're about to read, Steve Jobs, the once and interim CEO of Apple Computer, professes to feel, at the wizened age of 43, no different from when he was a frisky 17-year-old. True to form, he contradicts himself a little later, confessing to be "an old man now." Those comments reveal as much about why Jobs has been able to pull off his prestidigital revival of Apple--his first and still greatest creation--as do his observations on his business strategies and actions of the past year.

Here's why. Jobs is most effective as a businessman and leader when he invokes the pathos and gestalt of his generation. He is, after all, a child of the 1960s--you're still likely to find him barefoot in the office, and for breakfast he eats granola doused in apple juice. Yet Jobs is also a mature baby-boomer, with an impressive if offbeat store of business experience, plus the typical worries that go with having a daughter in college and three tykes at home.

So it's no wonder that Apple, which still carries Steve's genes and has always been as much a cultural phenomenon as a purveyor of computers, is responding dramatically to his patently iconoclastic yet subtly more seasoned leadership. The Jobs style also seems to click at the other company he heads: Pixar Animation Studios, a place that blends Silicon Valley stock options and technical rigor with the fanciful creativity of the movie biz (see box).

Listening to Jobs talk about his companies and his personal life, one can tell he believes he has finally, after more than two decades, found the formula that lets him be what he's always been best at: a consumer technology impresario, an adroit chief executive, and, at heart, a cultural revolutionary. Call them the three faces of Steve.

Friends, competitors, and even former foes agree that Jobs has wrung out much of whatever was dysfunctional in his mercurial style. Listen to Regis McKenna, the marketing guru who 20 years ago showed Steve the ropes in high-tech promotion: "Steve has matured. You know how I can tell? He asked lots of people for advice when he returned to Apple and actually listened to them. He's learned from his mistakes. What better accolade can you give him?"

Or how about this appraisal by John Sculley, the ex-Apple CEO who squeezed Jobs out of the company in 1985: "The turnaround isn't a fluke. It's back to the future. Steve has done an absolutely sensational job of turning Apple into what he always wanted it to be."

If there's a new balance to Jobs, it may arise in large part from the fact that his two companies are so different and require orthogonal skills. Larry Ellison, founder and CEO of Oracle, an Apple director and close friend of Jobs', observes: "Pixar is good for Steve, because although he is basically the owner of the company, he is not the owner or creator of the movies it makes, and he knows it. At Apple it's the other way around. He owns only one share of Apple stock, yet he clearly owns the product and the idea behind the company. The Mac is the expression of his creativity, and Apple as a whole is an expression of Steve. That's why, despite the 'interim' in his title, he'll stay at Apple for a long time."

Another thing that might keep Jobs at Apple is his penchant for challenging computer industry orthodoxy. In the early days Jobs and co-founder Steve Wozniak used the groundbreaking Apple II personal computer to foment an insurgency against big-iron mainframe computing. Steve's most famous baby, the winsome Macintosh, was an attempt to overthrow the growing dominion of the vapid IBM PC and its appropriately named "clones." Now, with the iMac and other stylish, Internet-friendly machines sure to come, Steve is renewing his holy war with the inelegant, overly complex, beige blandness of PC computing. Once a zealot, always a zealot.

But then, maybe it's the times that have changed, more than Steve. Computers today are the biggest-selling of all consumer electronics products. A rich vein of new buyers are consumer holdouts who, under pressure from their kids or in reaction to plunging prices, are finally ready to go digital. Steve's obsession with style, simplicity, and ease of use might well speak to them.

Stories of his petulance as a boss still abound. At Apple his fingerprints are all over the products, the marketing, even the cafeteria (he replaced the old food-service company with an outfit run by the former manager of Il Fornaio, the Palo Alto trattoria). As you can tell in the interview that follows, he is still incapable of mincing words. Intel Chairman Andy Grove, long a Jobs admirer, perhaps says it best: "Steve will always be Steve. The only thing that will change is that he will lose some more of his hair."

You knew it would be bleak when you went back to Apple. Just how bad was it?

Much worse than I could imagine. The people had been told they were losers for so long they were on the verge of giving up. The first six months were very bleak, and at times I got close to throwing in the towel too.

I'd never been so tired in my life. I'd come home at about ten o'clock at night and flop straight into bed, then haul myself out at six the next morning and take a shower and go to work. My wife deserves all the credit for keeping me at it. She supported me and kept the family together with a husband in absentia.

A lot of people thought you had a plan in mind when you walked in the door because you moved so swiftly to cut off the clone business and extraneous projects like the Newton.

In a situation like that, you don't have time to study everything. But, yeah, I had some ideas. What I told people was that every decision didn't have to be right, just enough of them had to be right, so don't get paralyzed. There were some very hard decisions to make. Like the decision to end the clone business. In hindsight that looks smart, but have you ever gotten death threats? That was scary.

FORTUNE ran a story right after you came back to Apple in which we accused you of acting cynically, of returning just to satisfy your ego.

If I was cynical, why would I have put myself through all that?

But why did you sell all but one of your Apple shares before you even started trying to revive the company? You had to know that would send a bad signal.

There's an explanation. During the negotiations when Apple wanted to buy Next, Apple said it would pay me 1.5 million shares in stock--which was about a sixth of my share of the purchase price--and the rest in cash. There was a catch: They wanted it to be unregistered stock so I couldn't sell it for six months.

It was a big mistake, and here's why. At the end of six months they had to register the stock with the SEC as they promised. When they did, the business press--a la you guys--assumed I was preparing to sell, even though I hadn't even thought about selling. When that all blew up, I thought, "Gee, Apple's taking a big PR hit on this. If I sell in three or six months, there will be a second hit, so I might as well sell now."

This was, by the way, before the Apple board began to twist my arm to come back and run the company. Gil Amelio was running the place. So I was also thinking, "Do I really want this $20 million worth of stock when I think the company is going to be worthless in a year?" So I sold it. Literally within a few days, I got a call from [Apple director] Ed Woolard to discuss coming back.

Selling that stock actually was a good thing. I don't get a salary at Apple. I get a dollar a year so that my family can be on the health plan, but that's it. You could argue, as you did, that I don't have a stake in Apple. But I was able to walk in with some moral authority and say, "Look, this isn't about me or the money I'm going to make. This is about what's right for Apple." It was purer in some ways.

Let's look ahead now. The iMac has begun shoring up Apple's market share. But can you really hope to make your share grow?

There are three kinds of iMac purchasers: No. 1, the Macintosh installed base; that's the most important segment. We're constantly listening to those folks, and we'll try to build computers that they want and need. They seem to be responding to the iMac.

The second kind is new users. Between five million and ten million new users will enter the market in the next year or two, and we'd like to get a much greater proportion of those than our current market share. We're in a pretty good position to do that.

The third place to get customers is from the Wintel installed base. Now, the Wintel market is actually two: diehard PC users--and we know we're not going to get many of them--and former Mac users who converted to Wintel. We are getting some of those people back.

Now that you've stabilized the ship, will Apple start pioneering again?

The iMac is a pretty good indication of where we're headed. The whole strategy for Apple now is, if you will, to be the Sony of the computer business.

I don't really believe that televisions and computers are going to merge. I've spent enough time in entertainment to know that storytelling is linear. It's not interactive. You go to your TV when you want to turn your brain off. You go to your computer when you want to turn your brain on. Those are not the same.

Computers have a bright future. The question is, where can Apple fit in? Dell and Compaq and Hewlett-Packard sell mainly to the corporate market. Yet there's this whole consumer market, which hardly anybody with the right skills is focusing on.

In audio and video electronics, Sony has a consumer products business, which is their core, and a professional business, which serves broadcasters. Well, our professional business is our design/publishing business, and our consumer business is education and pure consumers. The consumer business is pretty cool because it's very high-volume and you really get to interact with individual customers.

Beyond that, Apple's the only PC company left that makes the whole widget--hardware and software. That means Apple can really decide that it will make a system dramatically easier to use, which is a great asset when you're going after consumers.

The technology isn't the hard part. The hard part is, What's the product? Or, Who's the customer? How are they going to buy it? How do you tell them about it? So besides having the ideas and the technology and the manufacturing, you have to have good marketing to be able to reach the consumer.

Can we expect Apple to move into related consumer electronics businesses?

If Mercedes made a bicycle or a hamburger or a computer, I don't think there'd be much advantage in having its logo on it. I don't think Apple would get much equity putting its name on an automobile, either. And just because the whole world is going digital--TV, audio, and all that--doesn't mean there's anything wrong with just being in the computer business. The computer business is huge.

Listen, consumers are smart enough to know what the boundaries of brands are. If Apple can find things that are complementary to its core, that's great. I thought buying the PalmPilot from 3Com would have been complementary, but it didn't come to pass. I won't go into what other complementary things there might be, but when you look back in a year, it will all make sense.

Here's a problem I see in spotting new products. People focus too much on entirely new ideas, as if that's what's required to grow a new business. Maybe that's not the right way to do it. Most good products really are extensions of previous products.

For example, computers are still awful. They're too complicated and don't do what you really want them to do--or do those things as well as they could. We have a long way to go. People are still making automobiles after nearly 100 years. Telephones have been around a long time, but even so the cellular revolution was pretty exciting. That's why I think the computer revolution is still in its early stages. There's a lot of room for doing new and exciting things with the same basic product.

You're CEO of not one but two companies that are very different. Tell us about some of those differences.

Apple has some pretty amazing people, but the collection of people at Pixar is the highest concentration of remarkable people that I have ever witnessed. There's a person who's got a Ph.D. in computer-generated plants--3-D grass and trees and flowers. There's another who is the best in the world at putting imagery on film. Also, Pixar is more multidisciplinary than Apple ever will be. But the key thing is that it is much smaller. Pixar's got 450 people. You could never have the collection of people that Pixar has now if you went to 2,000 people.

Another difference is that all the things in the computer business that we labored over 20 years ago are now discarded--part of the sedimentary layer. Nobody uses an Apple II anymore. Yet when Snow White [Disney's first big animated film] was re-released a few years back, we were one of the tens of millions of families that went to see it. That film is 60 years old, and my son loved it. I'd like to think people are going to love [Pixar's upcoming movie] A Bug's Life 60 years from now. But I doubt anybody will be beating on a Macintosh 60 years from now.

Have you seen Antz [a computer-animated film distributed by DreamWorks that is strikingly similar to A Bug's Life]?

I should have, but I've just been too busy. That reminds me of another big difference between Apple and Pixar: The computer business is a zero-sum game. If a customer buys the other guy's computer, he won't buy yours. But in the film industry, time and again, audiences have shown that if there are three really good films out there, they'll go see all three; but if there are three not-so-good films, they won't go see any. If A Bug's Life is really good, Antz is not going to hurt us much, even if it's really good too. We're competing with "Can we make a great movie?," not with Antz or another studio.

People you've worked with say the word that best describes your management style is persistent. Where did you get your persistence?

I don't think of it as persistence at all. When I was growing up, a guy across the street had a Volkswagen Bug. He really wanted to make it into a Porsche. He spent all his spare money and time accessorizing this VW, making it look and sound loud. By the time he was done, he did not have a Porsche. He had a loud, ugly VW.

You've got to be careful choosing what you're going to do. Once you pick something you really care about, and it's a worthwhile thing to do, then you can kind of forget about it and just work at it. The dedication comes naturally.

You seem to enjoy building companies as much as you enjoy building products.

Uh, no. The only purpose for me in building a company is so that it can make products. Of course, building a very strong company and a foundation of talent and culture is essential over the long run to keep making great products.

On the other hand, to me, the company is one of humanity's most amazing inventions. It's totally abstract. Sure, you have to build something with bricks and mortar to put the people in, but basically a company is this abstract construct we've invented, and it's incredibly powerful.

Still, if you look at your first tenure at Apple, part of your goal was to build a new kind of company. You had much the same goal at Pixar.

I was lucky to get into computers when it was a very young and idealistic industry. There weren't many degrees offered in computer science, so people in computers were brilliant people from mathematics, physics, music, zoology, whatever. They loved it, and no one was really in it for the money.

My heroes--Dave Packard, for example, left all his money to his foundation; Bob Noyce [the late co-founder of Intel] was another. I'm old enough to have been able to know these guys. I met Andy Grove when I was 21. I called him and told him I'd heard he was really good at operations and asked if I could take him out to lunch. I did that with others too.

These guys were all company builders, and the gestalt of Silicon Valley at that time made a big impression on me. There are people around here who start companies just to make money, but the great companies, well, that's not what they're about.

Maybe so, but today Silicon Valley seems to be fueled as much by stock options as by idealism.

Of course you want to have your people share in the wealth you create. At Apple we gave all our employees stock options very early on. We were among the first in Silicon Valley to do that. And when I returned, I took away most of the cash bonuses and replaced them with options. No cars, no planes, no bonuses. Basically, everybody gets a salary and stock.

The great thing about stock is that if the value of one person's shares goes up, everyone's does. It's a very egalitarian way to run a company that Hewlett-Packard pioneered and that Apple, I would like to think, helped establish.

At Pixar one of the most gratifying things is that there are a lot of folks who don't really care about getting rich but who care a lot about the art or the technology. Yet they will never have to worry about money for the rest of their lives. Their families can live in a nice house, and they can concentrate on what they really love to do. It's wonderful.

You've always taken time to troll for new technologies that you could turn into new kinds of products. Are you able to do that now as much as you used to?

There's a certain amount of homework involved, true; but mostly it's just picking up on things you can see on the periphery. Sometimes at night when you're almost asleep, you realize something you wouldn't otherwise have noted. I subscribe to a half-dozen Internet news services, and I get 300 E-mails a day, many from people I don't know, hawking crazy ideas. And I've always paid close attention to the whispers around me.

You're 43. You've already made it big in business, yet you're not on the downhill slope of your life yet. Have your motivations changed as a middle-ager?

I don't think much about my time of life. I just get up in the morning and it's a new day. Somebody told me when I was 17 to live each day as if it were my last, and that one day I'd be right. I am at a stage where I don't have to do things just to get by. But then I've always been that way because I've never really cared about money that much. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel the same way now as I felt when I was 17.

But you react to things differently now.

Of course. I'm an old man. When you're older, you realize that sometimes there's nothing you can do about certain things.

Do you ever think you may be getting a little conservative in your old age?

One of my role models is Bob Dylan. As I grew up, I learned the lyrics to all his songs and watched him never stand still. If you look at the artists, if they get really good, it always occurs to them at some point that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, and they can be really successful to the outside world but not really be successful to themselves. That's the moment that an artist really decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. Dylan and Picasso were always risking failure.

This Apple thing is that way for me. I don't want to fail, of course. But even though I didn't know how bad things really were, I still had a lot to think about before I said yes. I had to consider the implications for Pixar, for my family, for my reputation. I decided that I didn't really care, because this is what I want to do. If I try my best and fail, well, I tried my best.

What makes you become conservative is realizing that you have something to lose. Remember The Whole Earth Catalog? The last edition had a photo on the back cover of a remote country road you might find yourself on while hitchhiking up to Oregon. It was a beautiful shot, and it had a caption that really grabbed me. It said: "Stay hungry. Stay foolish." It wasn't an ad for anything--just one of Stewart Brand's profound statements. It's wisdom. "Stay hungry. Stay foolish."

Do you want to be a mentor to someone who could succeed you?

I don't think it works that way. You just are yourself, and you work with other people. If you're inspiring to other people, it makes an impression on them. For example, I hear people at Disney talking about what it was like to work with Walt. They loved him. I know that people at Pixar are going to talk about their days with John Lasseter [director of Toy Story and A Bug's Life] in the same way. Who knows? Maybe someday somebody will feel that way about working with me. I have no idea.

But if you had a partner or an understudy, wouldn't it reassure those who worry about the word "interim" in your title?

Here's what that issue is about. I'm also CEO of Pixar, and I'd like to remain there for the foreseeable future because I love it. That does place some limitations on what I can do at Apple.

What happened with me ever since I returned to Apple was that everybody was hounding me about this "interim" business, asking how long I was going to stay. Very early this year I remember waking up and thinking, "This is not my problem. This is their problem. I'm not losing sleep over it, and it doesn't make me work any less hard for Apple." So I just decided, with all the other problems that I'd taken on, that I didn't need this one too, and I haven't looked back a day.

What's your biggest screwup in your adult life?

Personal stuff.

No regrets about business decisions?

Sure, there are a zillion things I wish I'd done differently. But I think the things you most regret in life are things you didn't do. What you really regret was never asking that girl to dance.

In business, if I knew earlier what I know now, I'd have probably done some things a lot better than I did, but I also would've probably done some other things a lot worse. But so what? It's more important to be engaged in the present.

I'll give you a perfect example. On vacation recently I was reading this book by [physicist and Nobel laureate] Richard Feynmann. He had cancer, you know. In this book he was describing one of his last operations before he died. The doctor said to him, "Look, Richard, I'm not sure you're going to make it." And Feynmann made the doctor promise that if it became clear he wasn't going to survive, to take away the anesthetic. Do you know why? Feynmann said, "I want to feel what it's like to turn off." That's a good way to put yourself in the present--to look at what's affecting you right now and be curious about it even if it's bad.

I'll tell you something else that makes you look at things differently. Once you have kids, it doesn't take a very big leap to realize that everybody is a kid. Everybody came out of their mother and was a baby, and hopefully everybody was loved by somebody as much as you love your kids. That may not sound profound, but a lot of people forget that.

So when we laid some people off at Apple a year ago, or when I have to take people out of their jobs, it's harder for me now. Much harder. I do it because that's my job. But when I look at people when this happens, I also think of them as being 5 years old. And I think that person could be me coming home to tell my wife and kids that I just got laid off. Or that could be one of my kids in 20 years. I never took it so personally before.

Life is short, and we're all going to die really soon. It's true, you know.

 

Popular posts from 产品随想的博客

Steve Jobs: `There's Sanity Returning', 1998

Nobody can doubt the charisma of Steven P. Jobs. The interim CEO of Apple Computer Inc., who returned to the company last July after his ignominious 1985 ouster, has brought back his legendary vision, impatience, and infectious passion for the Macintosh. Jobs spoke to Business Week Correspondent Andy Reinhardt in Apple's stark, fourth-floor boardroom, just after the company rolled out its new software strategy on May 11. Note: This is an extended, online-only version of the Q&A that appears in the May 25, 1998, issue of Business Week. Q: Now that you've introduced the new, bold-looking iMac, are you going to do some radically different products? A: There's a lot of talk about such things -- about handhelds, set-top boxes. A lot of computer companies have been searching for a consumer product. My view is that the personal computer has been the most successful consumer product of the last 10 years. What we have to do, what the industry stopp...

利用Rhino+GH+AI的数据可视化表现

原文来自 韩世麟博客 ,表示感谢,感谢作者可可 使用软件:Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Illustrator 编者按: 可可 这次又带来神级教程,可以说完美的解决了一大类图解的绘制思路问题。我经常被问到类似文中的数据可视化图解“是怎么画的”这类问题,无奈对于数据处理方面,我知之甚少。相信今天的这一篇文章能够为大家解惑。 作者简介 张可天 张可天是2015年毕业于天津大学的建筑学硕士。目前就职于天津市设计院。他专长建筑方案设计及表现,基本功扎实,而且他也一直乐于分享他总结到的技巧,曾经在人人网上接连发表过多篇图文教程: 《可可这样画》 系列。同时他也是专筑网 《SketchUp极速出图八讲》 的主讲人。 这是一篇我在知乎的回答 (点击这里查看张可天的知乎答案) ,题主提出的参考原图如下,希望能够得知这张图的画法。 我尝试用Rhino+Grasshopper画图并导入AI修饰,步骤如下: 1.取得数据 样例中的图应该是有数据来源的,可能是作者调研或文献摘录的。我并没有这些数据,所以我把原图中的数据大概加估计地逆向回来。数据的存在形式有很多种,我使用了比较常见的一种,将数据放在一张EXCEL表格的两个SHEET中,如下图。 Sheet1是一张映射关系图,是样例图中从右上方到左下方的那些个映射曲线数据。excel中,横轴是“人口分布(Population Distribution)”中的各类人,纵轴是“元素时间表(Element Timeline)”中的那些“元素(Element)”,“0”代表着没有映射关系,“1”代表著有映射关系。 Sheet2是一张时间数据图,是样例图中右下的那张大表格的数据。excel中,横轴是样例图的“时间点”,纵轴是“元素(Element)”,其中的数据根据原图中的意思,应该是某个“元素(Element)”在“工作日/休息日(Workday/Weekend)”时,特定的“时间点”上所接待或容纳的人数。我并没有看出来样例图中该数据的单位,所以我臆测了一下。我以垂直方向一格代表“10人”为单位,读取了这些数据,得到上表。 2.导入Rhino 我使用Grasshopper中的Bumble Bee将Excel数据导进来,这个插件是我能够找到的导入Excel表格效率最高的一个插件...

Oral History Interview with Steve Jobs, 1995

  Excerpts from an Oral History Interview with Steve Jobs Founder, NeXT Computer. Interviewer: Daniel Morrow, Executive Director, The Computerworld Smithsonian Awards Program Date of Interview: 20 April 1995 Location: NeXT Computer Transcript Editor: Thomas J. Campanella, Computerworld Smithsonian Awards Learning to Use Tools The Importance of Education The Role of Computers in Education The Costs of Education - Alternatives The Apple Computer Company The Growth of Apple Computer The Kids Can't Wait The NeXT Computer Company NeXT Computer Software The Internet Pixar Software New Possibilities Advice for Future Entrepreneurs The Responsibilities of Power Learning to Use Tools Daniel Morrow (DM) : Steve, I'd like to begin with some biographical information. Tell us about yourself. Steve Jobs (SJ) : I was born in San Francisco, California, USA, planet Earth, February 24, 1955. I can go into a lot of details about my yo...

Notes for the New Year

Notes for the New Year by Sam Altman 1/4/2017 Happy 2017! As a kid, I just sort of took for granted that stuff got better every year—TVs got bigger and then thinner, cars got a little faster, and computers got unbelievably better on an exponential curve. As an adult, I realized that the future is not guaranteed to be better. The default is that things stay the same (or get worse because we continue to create new problems and occasionally get in wars). The world only gets better if committed people with strong visions about the future work hard to make it better. It’s easy to get caught up in the moving sidewalk of a career and end up deeply involved in something that does not maximize your potential. It’s never too late to change, and it’s always good to be thoughtful about the path you’re on and how to best use your time. I made some notes before my brother Jack interviewed me for How to Build the Future , where I mostly talked about how ambitious young people should thi...

Steve Jobs Talks about Creativity

“Creativity is just connecting things,” Jobs told   Wired   magazine. “When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. . . . Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.”

BG投资十问(Baillie Gifford)

  1,公司是否能正面推动经济、社会或者文化发 展? 如果做不到,BG可能就不会再往下看了。比如军火、赌博类公司再便宜,BG不会去看。 2,公司销售额在5年之内能否翻倍? 为什么要讨论销售额?因为BG关注公司成长,销售额是比较简单直观的指标,而利润可有一些方法调节。所以,BG主要先关注销售额,再看现金流。 3,公司5年之后会怎么样? 这是未来5到10年或者5到15年的中间维度,一是看公司的成长空间究竟还有多大,二是考虑5年之后,公司的短期估值会不会下降,会不会变得成熟。 4,公司的竞争优势到底是什么?随着时间会变 强还是变弱? BG认为,如果公司的竞争优势是不断变弱的,将来在更远期挣回现金流的可能性就更低了。 5,公司是否有非常独特的文化?文化是否能够进化? 毕竟要投资这么长时间,对创始人和公司管理文化是非常关注的。特别喜欢创始人领导的公司,而不是说创始人什么都不干,创始人在做房地产,找了一些人在做新公司,要尽量避免这样的公司。 谈到进化在BG看来,大部分公司都会有大公司病,需要看它怎么能维持比较灵活的管理,变大之后还能够保持非常快速的成长,比如亚马逊的day one文化(注:就是始终处在 创业启动状态,充满迷茫和压力,但是充满创造力和颠覆思想 )。 6,公司过去的回报率怎么样? 一方面是考虑到公司的ROE(净资产收益率),二是考虑公司的Margins(利润),看它的过去是不是值得投资,如果每年ROE都不到10个点,可能长期来看也没什么意思。 7,ROE能不能随着时间增长? 有些公司一开始没有盈利,一直在烧钱,5年之后说不定ROE会到20%或者更高,它是一个动态过程。这样的公司BG也会投资,包括一些早期项目,很多公司都是没有盈利的。 8,公司怎么分配资本? 资本现金流无非就是5种方法:再投资、收购、还债、分红、回购股份,要看公司在某个阶段的资本分配是不是最优的。 如果公司明明可以发展更多,结果乱分红了;或者是明明到了特别成熟的时候,还不愿意分红,都是错误的分配资本。 9,公司怎样才能长成5倍? BG关注的是怎样,而不是能不能。这会强迫BG每个人去设想一些未来的可能性,包括公司现在的底层架构能不能够延伸到更多的业务。 比如,早期的亚马逊或者是阿里,连一个概念都没有,BG会考虑这个公司有没有这种机遇,以后去扩展到可触及的市场。 10,市场对公司有哪些误解,哪些事...

零碎思考 | 關於LLM的閱讀筆記

  通向AGI之路:大型语言模型(LLM)技术精要   https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/597586623 拆解追溯 GPT-3.5 各项能力的起源   https://yaofu.notion.site/GPT-3-5-360081d91ec245f29029d37b54573756 清晰明瞭 A Closer Look at Large Language Models Emergent Abilities   https://yaofu.notion.site/A-Closer-Look-at-Large-Language-Models-Emergent-Abilities-493876b55df5479d80686f68a1abd72f 試圖說明LLM的涌現能力] 如何利用GPT-4打造高效智能信息收集神器   https://lpcv.org/fwc/a/MzU0MDk3NTUxMA==/2247483868/1 學習思路 GPT-4编码教程,如何用AI构建和宣传我的Midjourney网站增强插件   https://op7418.zhubai.love/posts/2254193381183922176 AUTOMATIC1111 GUI: A Beginner’s Guide   https://stable-diffusion-art.com/automatic1111/ 其實就是AI界的雲渲染,挺有意思的 Midjourney还是Stable Diffusion: 你应该选哪个?   https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/617157677 看到作者下方的“註冊會計師”,中國太卷了 树莓派4B刷OpenWrt做路由器的经验+踩坑   https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/451788328 關注其中的坑點 doc.openwrt.cc   https://doc.openwrt.cc/

世界需要什么样的智能系统

原文: - By 道哥 - Link:https://archive.ph/h0nNj  笔记: - 人工智能,不应该是一个产业,应该是各个产业,都要有智能; - 智能:感知+行动 (目前很多视觉、语音的识别,停留在感知层面) - 智能技术角度看, 自动驾驶与智能音箱是两个完整的从“感知”到“行动”的闭环     - 对话机器人被成为人工智能界的圣杯 - 构建智能时代:     - 飞行员:各个企业中,智能部门的员工     - 航道:基础设施提供商,比如运营商、云计算厂商     - 机场:最后真正的商业模式,类似苹果的App Store,给机器智能系统提供服务 - 机器与机器的协同交互,价值巨大(以往很看重的是:机器与人的交互) - 数据、训练在内部;一旦进行外部的机器交流,默认为“不信任”模式 - 云计算厂商可能会被智能厂商管道化,就跟运营商被互联网内容提供商管道化一样(因为:云计算和大数据都不是智能)

ISSUU使用指南--木喵

作者: 木喵   出处: Wonderworks 问:issuu是什么? 答:Issuu是国外的一个在线文档共享网站,它是你的PDF文档发布专家。它类似于我们熟悉的youtube,但它共享的是文档、杂志之类的文本。 简而言之、同志们想看国外的各种杂志? 想找国外的汇报文本么? 想借鉴国外学生的作品集么? 那么你就要用到它啦~ 今天主要和大家讲两个方面 一、如何在pc端使用和下载issuu上的pdf文档 首先我们打开issuu的网址 https://issuu.com/ 我们可以很清楚的看到网页上呢都是国外的杂志以及一些作者自己制作的pdf文档 首先我们点击右上角的 sign up  然后填写相关信息注册一个账户: 注册完成之后我们就可以搜索我们想要找的资料: 比如说,我想找一些分析图的资料,我们就搜索: architecture diagram 然后我们就可以看到相关的文档了: 点击你所选择的文档, 好了问题来了: sorry,this publication is not available 这个时候!就需要在用pc端的我们做一件必不可少的事: 翻墙 然后我们就能将页面刷新粗来了 好、接下来是非常有建设性意义的一步 怎样把我们网页上的文件 下载下来 呢? 截图? no~no~no~ 接下来,让木喵告诉你怎么下载: 首先你需要复制上面的网址 然后将 https://wenfan.hk/issuu/index_link.php 在另一个网址中打开 将你之前复制的pdf的网址粘贴在下面的对话框中 点击 I‘m not a robot 再点击 get it 然后会出现一堆网址代码 我们 全选 打开你的迅雷点击 新建 将你之前的复制粘贴到下载链接里 然后呢~我们就全都下载成功啦~ 然后我们回到之前的网页向下看 我们可以看到有上传文档的作者(记得要关注哟) 然后还有 info   share   stack   ❤ 如果...